While I absolutely believe all of this, I didn’t write this – a friend on Facebook posted it, and asked that it keep being shared, so here it is…
Why I am a feminist:
1. Because my organs should not determine my level of success.
2. Because the most common question a woman is asked after getting sexually assaulted is, “What were you wearing?”
3. Because girls should not be embarrassed or made fun of for getting their period.
4. Because actual feminism isn’t about hating men.
5. Because gender inequality affects all genders.
6. Because princesses can rescue people too.
7. Because ⅔ of the 781 million illiterate adults in the world are women.
8. Because saying, “I have a boyfriend,” is the only thing that stops a person from hitting on you because they respect another man more than your lack of interest or right to rejection.
9. Because “like a girl” is used as an insult, is equated with weakness, and that being a girl is something to be ashamed of.
10. Because cat-calling is not a compliment.
11. Because women and girls make up 98 percent of trafficking for sexual exploitation.
12. Because length of clothing is not an invitation.
13. Because men should not feel like they can’t show emotions.
14. Because being a caring parent is not gender specific.
15. Because being a human means having both masculine and feminine qualities.
16. Because two-dimensional labels should not be used to describe complex human beings.
17. Because beauty standards for both men and women are absolutely ridiculous.
18. Because everyone should have control over their own bodies. It’s not up for political debate.
19. Because women should be able to breastfeed their hungry child regardless of location.
20. Because women still make less money than men do for doing the same job.
21. Because we live in a society that teaches women to be careful not to get raped rather than teaching people not to rape.
22. Because women’s bodies should not be a constant subject for discussion, objectification and disrespect.
23. Because sexual consent is not taken seriously.
24. Because men are not given custody of children for being seen as unfit to be a caretaker.
25. Because as a woman, walking alone at night is absolutely terrifying.
BECAUSE OF HER. HEAR ME ROAR
(This was borrowed from a friend, please PLEASE feel free to repost)